saquibmehmood5

Saquib Mehmood's Blog

I am the least likely person to write a few words about myself, not because I am overly secretive about my great life, but because I am simply lazy. It's an effort to think up good things to write about oneself so I will instead stick with the truth. I believe in evolution not creation, I believe in reason not in the mindless ramblings of some unknown god, I think love trumps reason, I believe that humanity has come far beyond all that was good and beautiful in this world and what is left behind is the foul stench of accumulated sweat formed by a thousand millennia of wasted effort, I believe 'hope' and 'goodness' are words used by aliens probably while having forbidden sex on their far off planets, I think "love" is a dark ritual performed by some lost tribe in Amazon and people will do everything in their power to prevent it from infiltrating into the heart of their rotten civilization, I think people will kill you for thinking differently, I believe that eccentrics are the best hope for humanity and arrogance is the only way of dealing with fools, I believe that when the time comes calling one should stand up and fight and fall and stand up and fight again till there is nothing left, I believe that one should not be scared of death and calamity and adversity as they seek the one who is afraid, I believe that 'prudence' is a refuge of sycophants who are afraid of the consequences of honesty, and yes I dream that one day I will take off on a space ship to some far off galaxy and will never turn back...

Rumi: Bridge to the Soul: Journeys into the Music and Silence of the Heart
Rumi, Coleman Barks (Translator), With A. J. Arberry, With Nevit Ergin
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men - David Foster Wallace Brief Interviews with Hideous Men is Wallace's way of communicating what a lesser person would deem incommunicable. These men are hideous not for some exceptional flaws in their characters but for a universally hated virtue, that is, honesty. They lie, cheat, obsess, fornicate and what not, like all the rest of us. But they get bad press because they choose to speak about it. So they are hideous, deserving of contempt and derision!
Admittedly, not all the stories in the collection are at the same level, but there are enough brilliant pieces to keep the reader engaged. My recommendation for aspiring readers would be to first go through the Brief Interviews, these are some of the best stories,and read the last one first as it will probably stay with you for the rest of your life. What goes on in the mind of a girl about to be raped? Well, I cannot admire Wallace enough!