saquibmehmood5

Saquib Mehmood's Blog

I am the least likely person to write a few words about myself, not because I am overly secretive about my great life, but because I am simply lazy. It's an effort to think up good things to write about oneself so I will instead stick with the truth. I believe in evolution not creation, I believe in reason not in the mindless ramblings of some unknown god, I think love trumps reason, I believe that humanity has come far beyond all that was good and beautiful in this world and what is left behind is the foul stench of accumulated sweat formed by a thousand millennia of wasted effort, I believe 'hope' and 'goodness' are words used by aliens probably while having forbidden sex on their far off planets, I think "love" is a dark ritual performed by some lost tribe in Amazon and people will do everything in their power to prevent it from infiltrating into the heart of their rotten civilization, I think people will kill you for thinking differently, I believe that eccentrics are the best hope for humanity and arrogance is the only way of dealing with fools, I believe that when the time comes calling one should stand up and fight and fall and stand up and fight again till there is nothing left, I believe that one should not be scared of death and calamity and adversity as they seek the one who is afraid, I believe that 'prudence' is a refuge of sycophants who are afraid of the consequences of honesty, and yes I dream that one day I will take off on a space ship to some far off galaxy and will never turn back...

Rumi: Bridge to the Soul: Journeys into the Music and Silence of the Heart
Rumi, Coleman Barks (Translator), With A. J. Arberry, With Nevit Ergin
Disgrace - J.M. Coetzee
I fail to comprehend why most people don't find it in them to sympathise with David Lurie's predicament. He has done nothing wrong except to provoke the self-righteousness of a society in moral decay. A society that cannot tolerate sexual infringements across generations. When was it actually that having consensual sex with a desirable younger woman became a taboo? Yes of course, there are so many protectors of "virtue" and "purity" that it becomes an absolute monstrosity to even contemplate such a violation of "The Code". David Lurie is on trial for his way of life.

"Disgrace" is a very personal story for me, call it vanity. I am not David Lurie and I am certainly not 52 years old, but I think that people should learn to treat sexual affinities with some objectivity.
J.M. Coetzee brings forth the tensions of an under-formed and conflicted societal structure. It is not going to go away. "Lucies" will keep getting raped and society will protect the perpetrators, but "Melanies" who give it of their own accord, are free to get a shot at playing victim. What a "Disgrace"!...